Been In An Accident?
Getting in an accident can be scary and stressful, but this checklist should make it easier!
- Always call the police, and call an ambulance if there are any injuries.
- Make sure you and any passengers are safe while you’re waiting for emergency personnel. Move your car out of traffic, if possible, to help decrease hazards, and be careful to stay away from traffic.
- Never leave the scene of an accident.
In minor accidents, you may just need to exchange information and then file a claim later.
- Never discuss who is at fault.
- Make sure to protect your identity! Never share the details of your insurance policy. Share only your driver’s license number, your insurance company and policy number.
- Collect the same information from the other drivers involved in the accident, and contact information from any witnesses.
- Contact your insurance company as soon as possible.
- Collect as much information as you can regarding:
- The location of the accident (address or any nearby landmarks)
- Condition (road, traffic, weather, etc.)
- Details of the accident
- Any injuries to the drivers or passengers
- Damages to the vehicles
- Use your cell phone to take photos of the accident